Policy and Procedure
POLICY ON SALARY ADJUSTMENTS: STAFF POSITIONS
This policy will establish broad policy guidance for use by responsible administrators in setting equitable salary and wage rates for employees, and adjusting them periodically.
It is the practice of Mississippi State University that salary adjustments for employees will be considered during specified times of the year. Periods during the fall and spring have been designated as windows of time that positions may be assessed for purposes of reclassification. These adjustments will become effective January 1 or July 1, whichever is appropriate. Such adjustments will be recommended and approved through the appropriate administrative channels and will comply with annual guidelines promulgated by the legislature, the Board of Trustees, and the university administration.
For certain employees, annual adjustments may take place at a different time during the year. Specific examples are the adjustments made to the salary of county extension staff, which track the fiscal year of the host county, and adjustments made to the salary of employees working under contract with an external funding source whose anniversary date for salary purposes differs from the fiscal or academic year.
Salary adjustments requested outside of the specified windows must be submitted according to the following procedure. Requests must include a written justification that specifies the reason for the exception. Exceptions include:
• reorganization of department/unit;
• job reclassifications;
• internal and external equity adjustments;
• requests for exceptions to the University’s recruitment and selection procedures when compensation is affected;
• administrative transfers;
• interim assignments affecting compensation; and
• an in-hand, verifiable job offer from a non-Mississippi State University employer, where the loss of the employee would jeopardize the University’s ability to maintain a program or function.
Presentation of requests must include the following documentation where applicable:
• Request for Salary Adjustment: Staff Position -signed by the responsible administrator through the appropriate administrative channels is required for all requests.
• A letter of justification - required for all justifications.
• An approved Job Inventory Form (JIF) - required for exceptions involving job evaluation.
• Additional documentation may include a Position Approval Request Form (PARF), Organizational Chart, Job Description, and Application for Employment or Resume.
Adjustments must be:
• initiated and justified by the head of the unit;
• funded by divisional reallocations;
• forwarded to the appropriate Vice President(s) or Athletic Director through the appropriate administrative channels;
• reviewed by the Department of Human Resources Management if forwarded by the appropriate Vice President(s) or Athletic Director; and
• approved by the Vice President(s) or Athletic Director.
Positions requiring IHL Board approval must be approved by the President. The following items require submission of an agenda item for Board approval:
• Hiring and promotions/change of status applicable to Dean level and above administrative positions (regardless of salary amount).
If approved, an Employment Action Form (EAF), a letter of recommendation from the Department of Human Resources Management, and the Request for Salary Adjustment: Staff Position form must be submitted with signatures of the responsible administrator(s) through the appropriate administrative channel. Requests may become effective upon approval by the responsible administrator(s). Review This policy and procedure will be reviewed as needed by the Vice President for Finance and Administration with recommendation for revision to the president at least every four (4) years.
This policy and procedure will be reviewed as needed by the Vice President for Finance and Administration with recommendation for revision to the president at least every four (4) years.
For information about this policy, contact the
Department of Human Resources