Policy and Procedure
STUDENT AFFAIRS OP 91.351: Display of Flag
Date: December 6, 1999
To establish regulations and guidelines governing the display of the official university flags of the United States of America and the State of Mississippi which are flown over the Drill Field, and other locations on campus and under the control of Mississippi State University policy.
Mississippi State University observes the following protocol with respect to the display of the flags of the United States of America and the State of Mississippi.
• The flags will be displayed only from sunrise to sunset. However, if properly illuminated, the flags may be displayed 24 hours per day.
• The flags will be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.
• The flags will not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.
• On Memorial Day the flags will be flown at half-staff until noon. When flying the flags at half-staff, the flags will be hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position.
• With the exception of Memorial Day, the flags will be flown at half-staff only by order of the President of the United States or the Governor of the State of Mississippi.
• If, for any reason, the flags are flown at the half-staff position, they will be raised to the peak before being lowered for the day.
• Exceptions to this policy may be authorized only by the President of Mississippi State University.
The Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for the review of this operating policy every four years or as needed.
For information about this policy, contact the responsible/reviewing department hyperlinked above.