Anna Zollicoffer

Anna Zollicoffer, pictured in front of a colorful mural.
Photo by Russ Houston

Graphic design and marketing senior Anna Zollicoffer enjoys anything that sparks her creative nature.

“I love all things related to creating, whether that be graphic design, drawing, crocheting or cooking,” Zollicoffer said. “Anything that I can be creative with is what I enjoy doing.”

The 21-year-old from Flowood always knew that she wanted to attend Mississippi State University. From the teachers she’s had, to the professional experiences she’s gained, her time spent as an MSU student has been a rewarding experience, and she is especially reflective of the good times as she prepares for graduation this week.

“The art program at MSU has been phenomenal and has taught me so much. I had high expectations for it, but it surpassed what I imagined,” Zollicoffer said. “They teach you all the skills and techniques you need, but they also encourage you to be unique and think outside the box.”

Zollicoffer has created many graphic design campaigns in her classes. She won a class competition among 30 other designers for her Make It in Mississippi campaign, which she said was a challenging project but one of her favorites. She won another competition for a booklet she created for a collaboration project between MSU students and Bradfield & Gorrie, a construction management contractor and design-build service provider. Both projects were accepted in the Mississippi Collegiate Art Competition and the Mississippi State University Student Juried Exhibit this year.

While graphic design is her passion, Zollicoffer also likes to incorporate fine art into her designs through mediums like watercolor and charcoal. She gets inspiration from nature and things that are bright and colorful.

During the summer of 2016, Zollicoffer studied abroad in Rome, Italy, where she created a poster series titled “Rome Abloom.” It was reminiscent of the colorful flowers and people she met during her time abroad.

Zollicoffer currently works at the Social Science Research Center and the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office. At the research center, she portrays education and family information, and economic and health-related data, through infographics, pamphlets and booklets. Her work for the College of Arts and Sciences includes branding for the college’s 60th anniversary and its Discover Your And campaign. She also produces magazine covers, logos, posters, and flyers for the college.

“My ultimate goal in my life and career is to be happy. I’m so glad I chose art as my major,” Zollicoffer said. "I feel like I can’t go wrong in any path I decide to pursue since I’m doing something that I love.”

Following graduation, she plans to either work for a graphic design or advertising agency, or as an in-house graphic designer for a company. Her online design portfolio can be found at www.artbyzanna.com. She credits MSU with equipping her with the knowledge and skill set to excel in her future endeavors, and she considers graduating from MSU to be a privilege and honor.

“I know how to draw and design, but because of Mississippi State, I understand what is at stake with every design I produce,” Zollicoffer said. “Design tells a story and makes a company memorable. I want to be able to tell that story successfully and beautifully.”