Notice to the University on Collection of Race and Ethnicity Information
Mississippi State University collects information on the race and ethnicity of all employees and students. The information is collected at the beginning of a personís employment, when a student is first admitted to the University, and during a studentís readmission to the University. Collection of this information is governed by state and federal guidelines and the information is used to provide reports to state and federal agencies that require demographic data.
In October 2007, the U.S. Department of Education posted in the Federal Register the "Final Guidance on Maintaining, Collecting, and Reporting Racial and Ethnic Data to the U.S. Department of Education (DOE)." DOE requires educational institutions to use a two-part question to obtain race and ethnic information from employees and students. The first question is whether the individual is Hispanic/Latino or not (ethnicity). The second question asks the individual to identify his/her race by selecting one or more race categories. The new format will allow individuals to self identify as being of more than one race (multi-racial or two or more races).
Old Collection Categories
What Ethnicity/Race Do You Consider Yourself? (Check one.)
- White/Caucasian (Not Hispanic): Origins in Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East.
- Black/African American (Not Hispanic): Origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic: Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture of origin, regardless of race.
- Asian or Pacific Islanders: Origins in the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent, or the Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example, China, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands and Samoa.
- American Indian or Alaskan Native: Origins in the original peoples of North America and who maintain tribal affiliation or community recognition.
NEW Collection Categories (Two-Question Format Required)
- Hispanic/Latino (ETHNICITY category)
- Select one or more of the following RACE categories:
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Black/African American
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
MSU will begin collecting information using the new format on July 6, 2009. The process will proceed as indicated below.
- Employees who purchase a vehicle parking permit for the new school year will be prompted to update ethnicity and race categories.
- If an employee does not purchase a new vehicle parking permit, then the resurvey web page will be available from the Personal Information menu in myBanner as a standalone menu item.
- Students will be resurveyed when they purchase a new parking permit just as employees. Students will also be prompted for this information during final registration this fall if it has not been collected prior to that time.
- If a student does not purchase a parking permit, then the resurvey web page will be available from the Personal Information menu in myBanner as a standalone menu item.
For additional information about the new collection categories see information and answers to frequently asked questions at the following websites.
You may also direct your questions to the Director, Diversity and Equity Programs at 325-2493 or the Director, Human Resources Management at 325-3713.