A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
FutureSTATE 2015 Progress Reports
ENHANCE STUDENT GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
Initiative: Increase emphasis on programs that focus on other higher education institutions, including community colleges, and programs such as Upward Bound to facilitate transfer of undergraduate students from underrepresented groups to MSU.
Achievements of the past year:
- Began networking with community colleges in targeting underrepresented populations.
- Created targeted recruitment schedule with community colleges for on campus presence.
Goals for the next year:
- Continue to work on networking opportunities at community colleges.
- Work with Holmes Cultural Diversity Center for networking opportunities in diverse communities.
- Continue to work with Student Support program.
Constraints to full implementation of this initiative:
- Cost differences between community colleges and Mississippi State University affect this population more.
- Creating cultural communities as subpopulations for support takes time.
Proposed modification of the initiative:
Overall assessment of the status of the initiative or other comments:
We have begun this initiative but can do more about changing the mix of students.