A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
FutureSTATE 2015 Progress Reports
STRENGTHEN PRIDE AND INVOLVEMENT
Initiative: Ensure viable, productive social outlets for our students, building on the good will, friendship, and service provided by student organizations.
Achievements of the past year:
- Global Lecture Series
- Lyceum Performing Arts Series
- Diversity programming
- CAB/Music Makers
- Many other student organizations in special circumstances
- Facilitates improvements that support this initiative:
- Sanderson Center and recreational sports venues provide recreational/social activities
- Housing and Residence Life has opened four new halls ( 2005-2007)
- Lee Hall Auditorium was completely renovated (2006)
- Student Support Services provides venues for social interaction
- Expanded/renovated Colvard Student Union and opened Spring 2008
- Conferencing facilities, Gaddis Hunt Commons, expanded services, extensive lounge spaces, student organization and Student Association space, a new Holmes Cultural Diversity Center
- Holmes Cultural Diversity Center hosts many events and activities
- Student organization provide social events for students
- Greek Life, faith-based, and scores of special interest organizations provide social, service, philanthropic, and faith opportunities for students.
- Risk Management Coordinator (2007) developing a risk management program for organizations
Goals for the next year:
- Continue to provide students with premier facilities.
- Develop funding model to ensure upkeep of facilities.
- Continue to provide forums to gather information on students' opinions.
Constraints to full implementation of this initiative:
- Adequate funding and facilities for entertainment and social programming.
- Proactive risk assessment to identify and minimize students risks and MSU exposure.
- Continuing challenge of student social outlets focus on alcohol.
Proposed modification of this initiative:
Overall assessment of the status of the initiative or other comments:
Mississippi State University must be diligent about upkeep of new facilities and progress towards adding new ones. Student demand for first class experiences at college are part of the reason they attend Mississippi State University and adequate funding is needed to keep these facilities viable.