A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
FutureSTATE 2015 Progress Reports
STRENGTHEN PRIDE AND INVOLVEMENT
Initiative: Commit to a strong Student Association vested with appropriate responsibility and authority and strong discipline- and interest-based student organizations, taking advantage of the skills and character of student leaders and ensuring their participation as part of the TEAM.
Achievements of the past year:
- Committed to engagement with Student Association and other organizations:
- Moved from one advisor to four in 2005: Primary, legislative, financial, programming.
- SBP and VPSA weekly meeting since 2004.
- SA Executive Committee bi-weekly meeting with VPSA and advisors since 2004.
- Bi-weekly dinner meeting of Big Dawgs and VPSA and staff since 2004.
- Renovated/expanded Colvard Student Union (Spring 2008):
- Larger, more prominent, central space for the Student Association, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, primary student programming groups, and major student organizations through the Student Leadership and Involvement Center.
- Improved funding for Student Association, programming groups, and organization, primarily through commitment of food/beverage tax revenues, since 2005
- Created VPSA/SA partnership to insure that tax revenue from the city supports activities that attract visitors and promote engagement with the community.
- Student organizations are asked to submit proposals for funding plans.
- Created additional Greek Advisor position to focus on fraternity issues.
Goals for the next year:
- Continue to provide opportunities for student growth and development through student association and organizations
- Add another sorority for chapter colonization in 2009
- Continue to develop student interaction in the New Center for Student Involvement.
Constraints to full implementation of this initiative:
- SA must continue to develop policies and controls as fund raising for major events expand.
- Risk assessment initiatives and assessments are ongoing.
Proposed modification of this initiative:
Overall assessment of the status of the initiative or other comments: