A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
FutureSTATE 2015 Progress Reports
STRENGTHEN PRIDE AND INVOLVEMENT
Initiative: Implement the MSU Diversity Plan and use it as a management tool. (2007-08)
Achievements of the past year:
The Diversity Plan is currently being written by ODEP. By June 1, 2008, a draft of the plan will be ready for coordination with the Director of Human Resources Management, the General Counsel, and the Provost. Following is a timeline for completing the plan.
- June 1, 2008. Send draft copy of plan to HRM Director, General Counsel, and Provost for coordination, edits, and recommendations.
- July 2008. Incorporate changes and recommendations into plan.
- August 2008. Submit plan to organizations such as the Faculty Senate, Professional & Staff Council, President's Commission on the Status of Women, and President's Commission on the Status of Minorities for feedback and recommendations.
- September 2008. Incorporate changes from MSU organizations into plan.
- October 2008. Send finalized plan to HRM Director, General Counsel, and Provost for final review and approval.
- November 2008. Present plan to Executive Council for approval (Council members will receive a copy of plan at least two weeks prior to its meeting).
- December 2008. Publish and implement plan.
Goals for the next year:
- Provide training to MSU community on the diversity plan.
- Monitor and ensure that MSU organizations comply with intent and spirit of the plan.
Constraints to full implementation of this initiative:
Lack of manpower. All personnel assigned to ODEP were new to the office and therefore, the past year has been spent training office personnel and working on initiatives which are mandated by federal laws but had been neglected for the previous two years. One such initiative was the Affirmative Action Program. In July 2007, ODEP hired an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist who has brought the office into compliance with federal laws. With the compliance portion of ODEP's responsibility under control, more attention can be given to other initiatives.
Proposed modification of this initiative:
Overall assessment of the status of the initiative or other comments: