A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
FutureSTATE 2015 Progress Reports
STRENGTHEN PRIDE AND INVOLVEMENT
Initiative: Modernize the process for allocating classroom space and better utilize technology already in place. Purchase or develop software that provides a complete inventory of classroom space, the rated occupancy of classrooms, and the average size of classes.
Achievements of the past year:
- Purchased Astra Schedule and Platinum Analytics Software April 2007.
- Met with Academic Deans to discuss initiative beginning April 2007.
- Commissioned Astra Info Sys. to conduct a Space Capacity - Utilization Study.
- Initiated a joint University wide room/space inventory with Facilities Management.
Goals for the next year:
- Continue to implement scheduling and analytical software systems.
- Utilize Space Capacity-Utilization Study findings to improve class and room utilization.
- Develop class scheduling rules to move classes to off-peak times.
Constraints to full implementation of this initiative:
Will need one additional FTE classified scheduler position (one total for office) to free up senior staff to implement, manage and operate new software.
Proposed modification of this initiative:
Combine this initiative with Schedule-more-classes during-off-peak-time initiative.
Overall assessment of the status of the initiative or other comments:
On track, but need additional staff and position funding to move ahead.