E.E. Cooley Building (John M. Stone Cotton Mill). 1902. Located just off campus, the Stone Cotton Mill is a reminder of the early twentieth century movement to bring textile technology and manufacture to Mississippi, as the mill was indirectly associated with the Textile School at Mississippi State for 12 years. It operated as a cotton mill until 1962. Mississippi State purchased the building in 1965 and changed its name to the E.E. Cooley Building, naming it for the former superintendent of utilities who served the university for 46 years. Presently, it houses the Physical Plant Department. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.