Carly Herm

Carly Herm
Photo by Russ Houston

For Carly Herm, one positive Mississippi State experience has led to another.

Since first visiting the Starkville campus during her sister’s freshman year at the university, the Jackson resident found what now has become her beloved home away from home.

“I came up here, and it just felt right,” she recalled. “It felt like this is where I want to spend the next four years of my life. This would be the right experience for me.”

Herm’s always been a fan of singing and music. When deciding on a college major, however, she knew she wanted to explore another passion—mathematics. In 2015, she graduated, cum laude, with a bachelor’s degree in the major.

“I did choir growing up and all throughout high school,” she said. “When I first came up to State, I had a job that required me to work long hours, but I wanted to be involved on campus. I missed singing so much, and I wanted to look for a job that would be more flexible, so I could do choir and math club.”

That led Herm to get a part-time job at the Joe Frank Sanderson Center where professor Seth Oppenheimer is a regular patron. She credits him for encouraging pursuit of a graduate degree that she will complete during the upcoming school year.

In addition to mathematic studies, Herm secured a graduate assistantship at the full-service recreation center where she oversees building operations and the hiring and supervision of student workers.

“One thing I always hear in interviews when I ask students why they want to work at Sanderson is that it seems like such a cool place because the people here are so friendly,” she said. “That’s exactly what we strive to do; provide a great customer service experience by creating a welcoming environment for everyone.”

Herm’s time at Sanderson also enabled her to meet Jay Logan, associate athletic director for event and facilities management. Under Logan’s guidance, she greatly expanded her knowledge of game operations and facilities management through an internship during MSU’s recently concluded basketball season.

Being able to work with Logan also inspired her to consider a career in athletics, she said.

“I’m so glad I chose Mississippi State,” Herm said. “If I hadn’t come here, if I hadn’t worked at the Sanderson, I wouldn’t be where I am.

“It’s all just worked out. I’m getting work experience that I can take with me into the real world, and I’m so thankful for that.”