Marcus Drymon

Marcus Drymon, pictured on a research boat.
Photo by Kevin Hudson

A day in the life of Marcus Drymon often involves fishing for sharks as he samples, tags and releases these fish to learn more about their basic ecology and how they interact with the ecosystem of the Gulf of Mexico.

Drymon, an assistant professor with the MSU Extension Service, is originally from central Kentucky. He grew up fascinated with sharks—a curiosity that has never changed.

“I spent the formative years of my life seeking them out and trying to learn more about them,” Drymon said. “I am blessed to have a job where I can continue to do that as a career.”

Drymon began work last August at the MSU Coastal Research and Extension Center in Biloxi. Before that, he worked at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama.

“My work is very applied,” he said. “My research over the last 20 years has been looking at the ecological role of coastal sharks in the northern Gulf of Mexico.”

This involves a lot of fishing, as he samples the distribution and abundance of sharks in the area, noting changes in their population structure and distribution. Sometimes he puts satellite tags on sharks so their location can be tracked. This information is given to regulatory agencies that oversee recreational and commercial harvest of these fish.

“There are sharks in the near-shore waters of Mississippi and Alabama, and they have always been there,” he said. “Humans and sharks are vital to the ecosystem, and clearly, both can coexist peacefully.”

He said studies have shown that the more facts people know about sharks, the less afraid they are of these fish. Drymon said these feelings change from fear into awe and appreciation.

“Sharks are incredible creatures,” he said. “Here in the northern Gulf of Mexico, we’re fortunate to have lots of different types of sharks. Studying that diversity gives you an appreciation for how phenomenal they are.”

Drymon’s interest the fish began with time spent in the Bahamas as a young boy.

“My dad is an airline pilot, and I had the opportunity to travel a lot with my family,” he said. “I took annual scuba diving trips with my dad, and we always went to places where we could see sharks.”

When it came time for college, Drymon pursued biology and marine biology degrees at Coastal Carolina University in South Carolina, the College of Charleston and the University of South Alabama.

He and his wife, Sarah, live in Vancleave with their three young children.