Jalana Caples

Portrait of Jalana Caples
Photo by Grace Cockrell

Jalana Caples has always wanted to help people through her work, and she strives to do this daily through her administrative assistant role in the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office.

Caples has the chance to interact with so many in the university community, from students to faculty and administrators, supporting them in their academic and professional goals and tasks.

“You really never know who could walk through the door and give you a gem,” said the Tupelo native who began working at MSU this past fall. “It is interesting to have conversations with deans, students, department heads and faculty. I get to learn something new every day from the stories they tell, and I gain so many different perspectives. I also enjoy fostering relationships. I’m known to crack a joke or two, and it makes my day when I can turn someone else’s day around.”

A 2016 graduate of East Mississippi Community College, Caples takes full advantage of MSU tuition remission for employees who want to work toward further academic goals. A full-time employee, wife to MSU web designer Stephen Caples, and mother of a toddler, she again has added “student” to the list of hats she wears.

“I currently am in the psychology program, which I love. I take mostly online classes, which cuts down on travel time to and from class. On certain days, I read and do as many assignments as possible so that I can already be ahead of my due dates. That way, if I need a day or two to reset, it won’t hurt me,” she said.

“Planning is my best friend. I write in all my daily tasks by the hour. Having my thoughts on paper clears my mind so I don’t have to store any extra information and think about what I should be doing all the time. I can dedicate that space for my studies and what I am actively learning. As far as studying, I am always reading when I catch a few moments. On my lunch break, you may see me in my car eating, reading and doing assignments.”

After she completes her bachelor’s degree in psychology, Caples wants to use it to continue helping the community.

“I am an advocate for our youth and their mental health. I know that mental and behavioral disorders play a large part in a person’s ability to perform well in school, so I want to help students navigate such a pivotal stage and transition seamlessly from secondary to higher education. I am passionate about applying techniques from what I am learning to help people achieve their own academic and life goals.”

Portrait of Jalana Caples
Photo by Grace Cockrell