Mississippi State's Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President is hosting New Faculty Orientation on Aug. 17 at The Mill Conference Center, 100 Mercantile St., Starkville. Parking is available in the parking deck behind the center.
Attendance is mandatory for all new full-time instructors, clinical, tenured and tenure-track faculty. Business casual attire is recommended.
The orientation session will begin at 7:45 a.m. with a light breakfast. Lunch will be served at noon, and orientation will conclude around 3 p.m.
This face-to-face orientation will be livestreamed for those uncomfortable attending in person and/or who are not located on main campus. Those who register to participate remotely will receive a livestream link via email.
Additional training opportunities for new faculty:
- New Faculty Teaching Academy – A variety of resources, events and opportunities for dialogue are provided with the goal of preparing new instructors for teaching at MSU. See the Center for Teaching and Learning website for more information and registration: www.ctl.msstate.edu. Online resources will be available Aug. 2. Luncheon and small group discussions will take place Aug. 16. Questions? Contact Michael Seymour at Michael.Seymour@msstate.edu or 662-325-2083.
- Library Tour – Online Introduction to the MSU Libraries – Aug. 20, 10 a.m., Register here; Faculty who would like to arrange a face-to-face tour of the library should contact Deborah Lee, MSU Libraries associate dean for public services, at email@example.com.
- Canvas Training – Aug. 19, 9 a.m.; Faculty who do not have prior Canvas teaching experience will need to register for the MyCourses training. Tina Green, MSU lead instructional tech specialist, will teach this session. Register here
- Getting Your Research Started – Aug. 30, 9 a.m., Templeton Room, fourth floor, Mitchell Memorial Library; Teresa Gammill, MSU associate vice president for research, will lead this session hosted by the Office of Research and Economic Development. Register here
- Managing Your Time Effectively – Oct. 8, 1:30-3 p.m., Templeton Room, fourth floor, Mitchell Memorial Library; Jim Dunne, MSU associate vice president for academic affairs, will lead this session hosted by the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President. Register here
- Your Annual Faculty Review – Nov. 12, 1:30-3 p.m., Templeton Room, fourth floor, Mitchell Memorial Library; Jim Dunne, MSU associate vice president for academic affairs, will lead this session hosted by the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President. Register here
- Dinner with the Provost and Executive Vice President – Nov. 8, 5:30-7:30 p.m. This is an informal dinner with Provost and Executive Vice President David Shaw and other MSU administrators. Location will be announced at a later date. Register here
For more information and/or disability accommodation, please contact Tina Gilliland, Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-325-3744.